This unit introduces students to the idea that functions are mathematical objects much in the way that numbers are mathematical objects.
- “Fitting functions to tables,” from CME
- A follow up exercise, sorting those tables into families
- From Ed Zuber, using unknown functions on the calculator to investigate functions (especially domain and range)
- Using backtracking as an algorithm for finding the inverse of functions
- An interesting metaphor for functions via vending machines, which suggests a metaphor constructing/extending activity for students
Here’s everything posted under ”Functions,” including stuff that didn’t make the cut.
Still looking for:
- A good way to motivate composition of functions